Fleece jackets are those revolutionary items which take little space in your pack but come with plenty of comfort and warmth. It’s natural to wonder when and whether fleece jackets are actually useful for your traveling projects. So, let’s get right to it and discover the true meaning of fleece jackets to your trip.
Why Lightweight Fleece Jackets are Awesome when You Hike
- Water and wind don’t touch you: They may seem too lightweight, but zippered fleece jackets keep you entirely divided from rain, snow, and wind. If you feel something has dropped on your coat, just hand remove it away to avoid passing through the material.
- If they don’t have a collar, they have a hood: These jackets either protect your neck through the double-material collars or your entire head in case of rain and snow. Some even come with removable hoods for increased comfort.
- You can actually hike: Movement limitation is not a concert you should worry about. Fleece jackets are as long as a regular blouse, to provide you with unlimited moving to hike, climb, install tents and have a spotless dinner.
- They save room: Comfortable fleece jackets adjust to your luggage easy enough to adapt to as little room as possible. They make the just in case items you should grab even during summer to avoid being cold if a sudden rain comes by.
- You can wear layers: Do you know what they say that you should dress in layers? If you wear a t-shirt, but you feel cold? Dressing in layers helps you protect your body from wind and cold. Meanwhile, you keep your movement freedom while you hike or make dinner.
The Cons of Lightweight Fleece Jackets
According to the National Public Radio, plastic fibers or microfibers are released into the environment, are attracted to water and end up in the oceans. It seems like a pollution issue. However, new released versions now contain materials that protect the environment. Make sure you don’t wash the jackets more than necessary to avoid material damage.
Some products use different length patterns for the sleeves. Other said you might end up with the right jacket and the wrong sleeves. If you plan to order from internet stores, make sure you find a real shop before where you can try them and see if they fit. When you keep your hands down, next to your body, the palm shouldn’t touch the sleeve at all.
What about extreme weather? Lightweight fleece jackets may protect you from regular rains and wind. However, don’t overestimate clothing items as you might have an extremely wet jacket which wasn’t designed to protect you from weather exceptions. Know the limitations of your clothes before choosing whether to wear them or not.
How to Choose the Best Fleece Jackets
The best lightweight fleece jackets as detailed in reviews, are designed first and foremost to keep you warm. They come in attached to other soft and warm materials and sometimes they’re also wind and waterproof.
So, the ideal jacket should have:
- Soft design for increased comfort.
- Oversized collar to keep your neck warm and dry.
- Full-zip to provide you with comfort through weather changes.
- The right size, to make sure it doesn’t feel too big or limit your moves.
- Be weather-adjusted especially if you want to take it to some extreme conditions
Based on the few on point reviews I read, the best lightweight fleece jacket for cold weather is the North Face Women’s Osito 2 Jacket. Manufacturers claim it’s ideal for cool conditions because it’s made of high pile fleece.
There are other specific weather targeted fleece jackets reviewed in the link above, but what was particularly difficult for me was to find a jacket that would keep me cold when I was freezing and cool when I was sweating. So, Osito just did the trick for me.
How Many Types of Fleece Jackets are There?
As mentioned earlier, there are clothing items for cool weather and for cold weather. The difference lies in materials which provide you with a medium or a lot of heat. Cool weather jackets are comfortable and more body-shaped than other products – as you wear a t-shirt or tank top below. You can wear them with jeans after the trip.
Cold wear sleeves provide you with more heat than the average sweater as they are built to cover your upper body parts fully. Some include elastic sleeve cuffs to protect your hands from snow or rain.
2. Gender-Optimized Products
There are neutral jackets that both women and men can wear. However, most of them come with a mostly manly design. The upside of these types of products is that they also come with inside pockets and optimized heavy designs.
Jackets designed exclusively for women are body-shaped and focus on easing your movements and increased comfort.
Does Anything Else Make the Difference?
- Style – if you’re into how your clothing looks next to each other, such as the fleece jacket and hiking pants.
- Brand – manufacturers who mainly product hiking and travel items focus more on clothing technology than regular brands which only produce casual street clothing.
- Material – Polyester is an excellent isolating agent from the environment.
Wearing Lightweight Fleece Jackets
You can wear lightweight fleece jackets whenever you feel the need to get a little warmer. For winter and cold-weather trips, wear a fleece jacket as one of your layers. You can see how to layer hiking clothes here.
Carolynn Mims is the voice of Reviews Outdoors, a website dedicated to reviewing sports equipment for outdoor activities. Check out their reviews here.